IDPD promotes the rights of persons with disabilities and initiatives improving their well-being and social participation. Social disputes and cultural events associated with the Day aim at increasing of awareness of special needs of persons with disabilities in political, social, economic and cultural life.
The leading theme for this year’s IDPD is “ Transformation towards sustainable and resilient society for all ”. Persistent inclusion and enabling creativity of persons with disabilities is an important goal in the development of modern society. Acting towards better health and better participation of persons with disabilities are core tasks of PRM physicians. Multiprofessional teamwork is inscribed in PRM practice. On macrolevel, the results of team collaboration may be accomplished by creation and maintenance of stakeholders dialogue involving government and non-government bodies, employers, organizations of persons with disabilities, academic institutions, media, etc. Their team effort coordinated by PRM experts should be scoped on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) identified by WHO as milestones of the transformation of our World.
ESPRM is involved in activities to ensure equitable access to high-quality rehabilitation services. Strengthening rehabilitation will not only ensure respect for human rights but also improve health and provide social and economic benefits.
ESPRM is deeply involved in scientific and social initiatives and events devoted to persons with disabilities problems:
Special Interest Scientific Committee for Public Health chaired by Paolo Boldrini
Selected events of the oncoming 21st Congress of the ESPRM in Vilnius, 1-6 May 2018 illustrating this involvement include:
- The session of Special Interest Scientific Committee for Public Health chaired by prof. Paolo Boldrini. “Inclusion of Disabled Persons in the Society”
- Presentation of the third edition of White Book of PRM in Europe produced in collaboration with AEMR and UEMS PRM Section and Board
- WHO session "The World Health Organization call for action: Rehabilitation 2030"
- Session "Scaling up rehabilitation in learning health system"
- Rehabilitation Services Session